Skip to main content

Re: Philando Castile

So, here's the thing. #PhilandoCastile was stopped for a busted taillight. Ok.
He had a license to carry, (like many non-black identified persons). He had his wife and child in the car (a behavior falsely posited as not normal for people identified as black). His taillight was busted (not black-specific but one could argue that the reaction to said tail light by law enforcement is). He was shot. Quickly. On camera. The officer, supposedly afraid was just relieved of the MANSLAUGHTER CHARGES... of killing a law-abiding citizen in his state of residence.
Wife: American
Kid: American
Dumb car issue: American
Working at a school: American
Conceal and carry license: SUPER AMERICAN
Black skin: ...hold up...
So I hypothesize that, in America, there is no color seen as less American than Black. It is what makes whites afraid. White fear is what makes Blacks afraid. It is what makes Immigrants often hate allying with or trusting us until Whites get afraid of them, too... Then we're allies.
The reason people don't want to say #blacklivesmatter? Because in America, only American lives matter. Check our foreign policies, homeboy. And many american people, some of them black-identified, refuse to acknowledge how utterly American Black-identified people are. We have been here the whole time, working and bleeding for this place. Challenging and supporting. Dying for the luxuries, fighting for the liberty so casually thrown in our faces, voting for progressive government, trying to fit in to a home we help build, all the while being judged, chastised as unpatriotic, apathetic, condemned as whiny (like we never seen a white person speak to police before), objectified, harassed, belittled, denigrated, beaten, raped, murdered because we are black.
So perhaps it is time for the rest to recognize the real. Black is the color of resilience. It can absorb all spectrums. And never wavers. It is equally the color of your bruise as it is the color of you pupils. It receives and absorbs and heals all things American. It is the color of sweet molasses. It is the color of the industrial revolution, It is the color of A night of celebration. It is formal, sexy and slimming. Black is the Universe. Black is the infinite shade. The color of possibility. Black doesn't burn.
And, for today, I have never been more aware of the white feather, the white flag, the scavenging seagull, the metaphorical albatross, or the false purity of your new wife's white dress. Because this nation, if it is so... white, is too young, too fragile, to be the pearl or the opal. Too consuming to be sunlight, too unrooted to be the apple blossom... too in love with red to be the whit rose... Perhaps it is the white lily, planted in shallow soil and presented at funerals.
I have no issues regarding race as I can't fucking stand associating myself to the qualities projected onto me by others... and I'm too dark to reflect them anyway. But perhaps it is time we stop waiting for white knights and start acknowledging the depth of the black ones, before they kill us all.
Don't talk to me about healing. Miss me with that shit right now. Wake me up after labor day.
Fuck Julius Caesar, that play's boring... here's a Shakespeare quote for yo ass...
"Coal-black is better than another hue,
In that it scorns to bear another hue"
~Aaron; Titus Andronicus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Vincent Terry, My Father. Wild, outgoing, sometimes and asshole, a great man to have in your corner (when you're in a corner), wayward, quick-tempered and very. very funny. It's sad that my dad and I are nothing alike. Thank you pop for being the man who decided I should take the bus by myself at 8. And thanks for following me for 2 weeks when I started. I owe a ton for my mother's gentleness and a ton to my father's calluses. Happy Fathers' Day, Vincent Terry. You are are the reason I insist on all three names.
Best Quote: He must have a horseshoe up his ass.

WOMEN'S MARCH (#YESALLWOMEN)

It's that time again!!! #FBF of #AMERICANHISTORYMONTH. This photo gallery is brought to you by my mother and called... #WOMENSMARCH!! It took me along time to write this... pardon me if I say something stupid.














Feminine is a funny Word. I cannot define the phenomenon of feminine, for it is neither my place nor my aim... but I like it. For many reasons in many ways, always. In some societies it is softness. The wilting flower. The tender petals. In some cultures it is rubenesque. In some thin. Sometimes Athena, sometimes Oshun.... 



blah blah blah. But...
Quick Tale: When I was growing up, I had a diverse array of friends of all li

On the NYT Book review... FUCK "OUR" "BLUE COLLAR" OUTRAGE!

I can completely understand that the reaction of many to what I have to say may make me sound like a turncoat, but "We need to talk about Kevin". But several facebook friends posted this and I had to get in on this. for those who haven't read this hilariously brave review (Chicagoans is crazy about Chicago!) see below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/books/review/the-third-coast-by-thomas-dyja-and-more.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Interesting read. I wanted to comment on this because the jingoism associated with the "BLUE-COLLAR type of town" mentality is simply no longer true, belies our citizens' (righteous, in my opinion) own cries of inequality, and the evidence supported by the empirically measured migration rate and anecdotal listing as a city only less miserable than Flint, Detroit and Rockford (GODDAMN!)  Chicago has a history of deep deep segregation, isolation, nepotism, cronyism and political/slanted rhetoric (where "Windy" comes from) …