Skip to main content

On the NYT Book review... FUCK "OUR" "BLUE COLLAR" OUTRAGE!


I can completely understand that the reaction of many to what I have to say may make me sound like a turncoat, but "We need to talk about Kevin". But several facebook friends posted this and I had to get in on this. for those who haven't read this hilariously brave review (Chicagoans is crazy about Chicago!) see below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/books/review/the-third-coast-by-thomas-dyja-and-more.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Interesting read. I wanted to comment on this because the jingoism associated with the "BLUE-COLLAR type of town" mentality is simply no longer true, belies our citizens' (righteous, in my opinion) own cries of inequality, and the evidence supported by the empirically measured migration rate and anecdotal listing as a city only less miserable than Flint, Detroit and Rockford (GODDAMN!)  Chicago has a history of deep deep segregation, isolation, nepotism, cronyism and political/slanted rhetoric (where "Windy" comes from) that no longer works. the Stockyards are gone, fuckers.  Save that shit. I live in a city where far too many think the Blue Collar part isn't even "The City".  Fuck off! Can we really hate on NYC while adapting such ridiculous syntactic segregation They give Manhattan (not the Harlem part)?  You mean to tell me Ford City, Evergreen Plaza and Mega Mall ain't the city?! Then where the fuck was I when I got those Airmaxes and Jincos in 95, Chump?! WHERE?! "Jewtown", was (admittedly) too blue-collar.  Then Maxwell Street was too blue-collar.  University Village... ain't. Nor is Target.  When Target moves in, it's a wrap. Target is the awesome Death Star to blue-collar-ass neighborhoods, zapping halfway houses with it's laser... but ain't no exhaust port, son... not a one.

The Fulton district features fine dining spots. Shit EVERYPLACE is about fine dining where you can qr code the ferret that shit out your coffee bean for that nutty taste in your flour-less cake and colorful cocktails where the bitters are made of belgian monkey musk and turkish rose testicles   Blue-collar, my taint!  Somebody's lying.  Blue-collar doesn't infuse it's gin with lotus fetus; it drinks Old Granddad, punches you in the face to toughen your eyes and tells you to call your mother.  Blue Collar goes to BREAKFAST on Sunday.  Wicker Park, once an artist colony, is now a place similar to shopping malls in Kuwait and the nightlife in ANY place where people go to look cool, ahead of the curve and cutting edge.  Blue-collar has to get that shit done with a butter knife, Bitch!  Do I go to the apothecary?! Fuck yes! Do I gets down on some fuckin Korean tacos with the fuck truffle aioli butter and butter-creamed celery root? YOU DAMN RIGHT! So let's stop frontin on this Blue-Collar shit.  PBR ain't blue collar anymore.  STROH'S is, dickbreath.  That's a dude who's check-to-check!

  As a Chicagoan with a fascination for Detroits plight, I have seen a correlation myself. I understand the ire people feel toward the review, I do. It hurts to not only hear this criticism but, in many ways, to agree with it. I was born and raised here in the city. I LOVE Chicago but it is a shockingly and deathly corrupt place to those have-nots that seek a chance at success here.  Simply loving a place does not mean LIKING it.  Sometimes I worry if we are better as friends.  I know this sounds negative but that is what people do in Chicago, they complain.  Welcome home, mothafucka.

As I minority (and I understand that sounds dismissive to the dominant group, though I include, of course, women, poor and under-represented folk of all walks of life) Chicago is one of the most segregated cities I've been world-wide (Seattle has a lead by a single bag of dicks but, again, Chicago is not in contextually good company... again.) Chicago's history is crippling it's future.  The sociological term "hypersegregation" was create by demographers for the study of Chicago.  I would never forsake my love for this place, but I understand, if a hard choice must be made, the desire to be a rat of necessity on this ship than its volunteer captain.

I consider this city my home, I grew up in uptown, went to public elementary school, Chicago Catholic League for HS and College at UIC.  Iunderstand more and more, however, that simply because it's my home doesn't mean it's mine. It is sad to acknowledge that many places have proven more welcome to me and people "like" me than the place of my birth.  Take that how you want.  I also have to admit a severe distension from all this "blue collar" shit-sandwich-eating. The "Blue collar kind of town" thing is played out.  "The city" now favors sterile neighborhoods that adapt high end franchises, the safety of homogeny (not new) and the ignoring of/indifference to those who are not able to enjoy that safety.  For the Chicagoans whose love has them fighting the good fight: godspeed!  Chicago is a city that needs that kind of attention.  

Next time you fret about the train construction, school/teacher conflict, school/teacher conflict, school/teacher conflict, gun violence, segregation and traffic please please please acknowledge the real... these problems are historic ones. Let us not also forget that some of the most violent, racism, xenophobia, and bigotry may be instituted through white-color organization, it is quite often enforced on the corporal level by the collars that are blue... Take that how you want.  Time to take some lumps Chicago. Be mad if you want.  Ignoring says more.

 #mixed feelings. #isthiscroworganic? #hashtagsdontworkonblogger #whendovescry #yeahisaidit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maaaan, Fuck Good Blow Jobs (before sex)!

When I'm on my game, and I got her feelin hot and then she slides down my snug but not too tight, moderately priced denim… Oh shit... I'm gonna suck... Your ... Dick. AWWWW SHIT! AWWWWWW SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT… then you get that shit!… .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#AMERICANHISTORYMONTH BRUNCH!!

Many people (idiots) ask the question. "Well... why don't we have a white history month?!" Well here you go!  # ThrowbackThursday !! The month is short so I'm gonna have to stack these a bit.  # TBT # whitepeoplemakingblackhistory   As American as picnics... Water Parks and walking the old dog! I call this first series BRUH-NCH. Here's some "old-timey" photos from way back when... 55 years ago with some young black thugs breaking the law... trying to gentrify this brunch spot... bringing property values down... And some brave citizens restoring order! Notonth eirwatch! The first image I'll call "HORSE COLLAR" because, I mean, that's even illegal in the NFL and they don't give a SHIT about the health of black people. This second picture is gonna be called "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP!" because that's what these strong ass brothers and sisters (not all of them black,

“P_BUTT for PRESIDENT?!” or why I‘m Shouting in my SOULJAH BOY voice about WHITE JESUS

Alright. So, I am tired of clogging people’s feeds with comments... for now.  Furthermore, i think some of you might feel as I do.  Sooo... I will tag those inspiring the idea and tell all of you folks what’s good. Keith Eric Davis has posted Paul Buttigieg videos (Both on “The View” and its sister program “The Breakfast Club”) and I find the guy fascinating.  I was enthralled by his presence. He seems... good, in the most honest and righteous sense.  I am so glad Keith posted them. I had heard hints of the man but hadn’t heard him speak. His name is dumb... that’s why. Seriously... He seems astute and wise and cool. Gay mayor... aight? I’m listenin... Then Lindsey Pearlman posted about how calming his voice was... and I AGREE.  But that along with one other thing are glaring red flags for me. In typical KVT fashion, I replied... “Nah White Jesus is whack” (literal reply). When asked to elaborate I was like hold on nigga damn I’m flippin these birds right now.” (slight paraphrase) Ke